1.20.2013

A few black and whites from the Canadian Rockies

I've been trying to find some photographs from our Canadian Rockies trip last June that will convert nicely to black and white.  It is very hard for me to determine what will look good... until I try.

Biker's Solitude

"Trying" is easy in Lightroom.  First I make sure that the "Navigator" feature is open.  It is located at the top of the left hand panel.  Then, below the navigator, is the "Presets" feature. I hover the cursor over the various "Lightroom B&W Filter Presets" and watch how the image in the Navigator changes. If the image has potential, I then create a "Virtual Copy" of the original color image and click on the preset to apply it to the virtual copy.  You can then tweak the various sliders on the right hand tool panel to see if you can improve on the preset defaults.  Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't.

The Vermilion River, Kootenay National Park, British Columbia

I think all of these images were taken on  rainy, cloudy, and/or foggy days.  It is my experience that dramatic skies come across well as black and whites.  Another thing about drab days is that the colors are rather muted (boring?), so converting to black and white makes sense.

A Rainy Day Around Banff
All of these were taken in RAW format with either a Panasonic GH2 (since sold) or an Olympus E-M5.  The lens was always the Olympus 14-54II attached to the camera via a 43-to-m43 adapter.

Pyramid Lake, Jasper Alberta

Bow River, Jasper National Park, Alberta

David Thompson Wilderness

Near Athabasca Pass, Canadian Rockies

Bow River, Jasper National Park

No comments: