10.06.2013

A Taste of Maine (Moody's Diner)

We just got back from a trip half way up the coast of Maine, to as far as Mt. Desert Island.  The weather was beautiful, with the "worst" day being an overcast day yesterday, while driving back to Massachusetts.

I've started going through my pictures. As always, I take w-a-y too many.   Even so, I don't think I'm too excited about them. Yesterday (a couple of outdoor pictures are below) was overcast with not enough light to bring out bright colors.  Every other day was sunny and frequently cloudless.  I'm not complaining; but the downside of bright sunny days is that light can be very unflattering for photographs, with lots of harsh shadows and bright highlights.

The harshness of the light was especially true because most of my shots were taken during the brightest time of day, from about 10 a.m to about 2 p.m.  I did get up early (about 6 a.m.) each day for the sunrise, so I think I have some good ones taken during the golden hour.  On the other hand, I've never seen a sunrise I didn't like!

For fun and experimentation, I brought along four old manual focus 35-70mm zooms (two Nikons, a Minolta, and a Tamron) with appropriate adapters for the NEX-6.  I took a bunch of pictures with each of these lenses at various aperture settings and at 35, 50 and 70mm focal lengths.  I am looking forward to doing some pixel-peeping comparisons.  I hope the Minolta has the best image quality, as it also looks and feels the best.  If it is the best performer, I will sell the other three on eBay (where I bought them).

Yesterday being our final day in Maine, we stopped for a late lunch at Moody's, a classic diner in Waldoboro.   It was started in 1930, and is located on Rt. 1.

A stop at Moody's for lobster rolls was a great way to end our trip to Maine.




Lobster Rolls, French Fries and Cole Slaw!

Lots of real Maine blueberries and two scoops of ice cream.


No comments: