4.15.2014

Rokinon 12mm F2.0 for NEX just arrived


[This is my first post on the new Rokinon 12mm for Sony NEX]

A couple of really fun things have happened this week.  First, on Monday morning I read a very positive review of the new Rokinon 12mm F2.0 manual lens which comes in a Sony E mount (I've got it on my NEX6) and X mount for Fujifilm.  

I've never had a lens wider than 24mm-e and on the Sony this 12mm lens will give me the equivalent of 18mm.  Anyway, I made a spontaneous purchase from Adorama on Monday, and voila... here it is pictured below in my office at 11 a.m. on Tuesday.  Knowing how fast Adorama is when it comes to delivery to those of us living in New England, I even brought my NEX6 into the office thinking it might be delivered in one day.  And it was!  

So far, the lens feels wonderful.  Solid but less than 6 ounces.  Length of 2 1/4".  Price of $400.  Did I say it had an F2.0 maximum aperture?  That is a couple of stops faster than the zooms out there available for the NEX system and for the Olympus system (I'm a big Oly fan, but still like my NEX6.)

The second incredible thing is that though I am writing this on my office computer, I uploaded the pictures from my iphone.  No big deal for most of you.  But I just got my first smart phone about a week ago.  I took these pictures with it and thought to myself... how do I get them to my blog in the cloud?  Well it was as easy as hitting the App Store icon on the iphone, searching for Blogger, and downloading the App.  AWESOME!

Now that I have gotten over my excitement about getting this new toy (the lens) and getting to love love love my iphone, I hope this lens turns out to be a winner.  I do have 30 days to decide if I will keep or return.

I'll post more of my thoughts on this later.  In particular, my thoughts (and wonderment) as to why I am trying to use my Sony NEX when there are soooo many good (and generally better IMO) lens for the Olympus E-M1 and E-M5, both of which I own (though the older E-M5 might find itself on the chopping block soon.)