5.17.2015

Our granddaughter. I'm really pleased with this photo

First, let me say I am not a professional photographer, and people photography is something I need a ton of work on.  That being said....

What a great weekend we had.  It was our granddaughter's first "sleep over" and it couldn't have been more fun. When the kids are around, out comes my camera(s).  In this case it was an Olympus E-M1 with the Panasonic 35-100mm zoom at 35mm (FF=70mm).

Nearly all the family images I have are what would be called "candid's". But this one is an exception, and I am very pleased.  For some reason I smiled and called her name, and she looked at me, hugged the kangaroo tighter and posed.  What a delightful result!



Some technical comments.

First, as far as light goes, it was awful.  The family room was lit by three incandescent table and floor lamps. But at least it was consistent light.  I was using AWB, and upon review I needed to make an adjustment in Lightroom to reduce the yellow tint.  I was shooting raw, and this helps when adjusting WB in post processing.

I like the composition, though I felt it would only work as a square crop.  Also, with a little time it would improve things if I cloned out the window frame in the background... though some might not find it distracting.

I like the exposure.  But it was a challenge because of the natural light coming through the windows in the background.  As I recall, I accepted the center weighted metering and then added +1 EV.  The result was the following exposure details:

No Flash
ISO 2000 (I almost always use autoISO when not using a flash)
1/25sec (I love image stabilization!)
F2.8 (I'd shoot at F2 if I could have it in a mFT zoom)

If I had a willing subject (who could sit still for more than a few seconds haha) I would have loved to have tried the same shot with a flash, bouncing behind and to the left of me.  At the very least I could have mixed it (50%) with the ambient light (50%) thereby bringing the ISO down to 1000.

But I am not complaining. Not too many years ago I'd have been shocked if I'd been told that one day I would be satisfied with images shot at ISO 2000.

No comments: