12.09.2017

Olympus E-M1 Is Back From the Repair Shop


I’m pleased with the turn-around time on the repair of my EM-1, and the repair cost was reasonable.  Unfortunately, the warranty had long expired, as I’ve owned and used the camera since December of 2013, the first month it became available.


Received! (Note that it arrived wrapped in bubble wrap for safe transport)

Here’s the problem I was having (for several months), as I described it on the repair order. 

“Camera is kept with mode dial in Aperture (A) Priority. However, most of the time when the camera is powered up, it is actually then in Program Mode as this is indicated in the lower left corner of the LCD. And the dials operate indeed as in the "P" mode. To change to "A" mode I need to click the physical mode dial either clockwise or counterclockwise to any other mode, then click it back to "A" mode. Very annoying.”

Once Olympus received my camera at the repair center in New Jersey, I was notified of the price for repair ($190) by logging into their website. I quickly approved the repair, as that price seemed fair and reasonable for a four year old camera. I received the camera via UPS ten days later. That, too, seemed reasonable. Your mileage may vary, but I’m happy.

I'm looking forward to "re-assembling" with my default lens, the 12-100, and RRS grip.


However, I’m not sure what was actually wrong with the camera. The receipt says “normal repair” and mentions that they “replaced the rear dial, rear cover and grip”. That appears to be the case, assuming “grip” means rear grip (the rubberized area under the right thumb). I notice the replaced rear dial because the “OK” is visible, whereas the lettering on the old OK button had been almost completely scratched off from pressing the button with my thumb nail.

My guess is that a technician removed the back of the camera, gained access to the insides of the camera, repaired something electrical, and sealed it all up with new parts. I’ll assume the new rear dial, new back grip, and new back were necessary for a quality repair. 




No comments: