7.28.2015

Why I like my Sony a6000 more than my Olympus E-M1 (Part 3: The flash system-page 2: The HVL-F20M flash)

I headed out the door Sunday morning for our three year old granddaughter's birthday party. I grabbed the Sony a6000 and the HVL-F20M flash as I knew we would be indoors.  In my prior post here, I described how great this little Sony flash works on the a6000.

(I also own the new Nissan i40 flash with its guide number of 40. The i40 aims anywhere I want it, in fact swiveling 180 degrees in either direction, and of course angling from straight ahead to straight up. But on this day, like most days, I wanted to keep things simple and compact. The F20M shines when it comes to simplicity.)

Several product shots:

Folding the flash down like this turns it "off"


Flipping the flash up like this turns it "on"

Bounce flash versus direct flash.  I almost always use bounce.

Two AAA batteries.



Below is a sampling of the images of the party girl and her older sister. As always,my goal is to use a flash to get better light and also to get a higher image quality by the fact that a lower ISO can be used.  Each photo below was taken with the Sony 50mm lens (e75mm) at F2, 1/80 sec, and auto ISO. In all cases the flash was bounced off the ceiling. The ISO used was 400 to 2,000. The auto ISO required had I not used a flash would have ranged from approximately 800 a 4,000.


Depending on the monitor I think these might need a white balance adjustment. Perhaps a bit warm, but the room was indeed filled with incandescent light. 





Now, I'm not saying these are great pictures. They're snapshots, and they seem a bit soft to me.  Perhaps F2.8 would have sharpening things up a bit. But I think if I were to have increased the shutter speed, this would have helped, as half the light was ambient light. After all, even when little kids are stationary, they're always moving!

Older sister





No comments: