9.11.2017

Photo Story: Bee With a Coat of Pollen


What is so fun for me is that this potentially (I haven’t decided yet) portfolio photo was shot while out photographing motorcycles!  How interesting that the motorcycle photos are all snapshots and not worthy of a portfolio.  None of my car photos are worthy of a portfolio either, nor do I expect them to be; but it just seems so ironic that I would end up today with my favorite photo being a pollen-covered bee. The fact that this was not my intention makes it all the more special.  It’s sort of like pond fishing for sunfish and catching a beautiful little brook trout.  


Panasonic GX80/85 with Olympus 60mm macro
1/125, F5.6, ISO800
A circular polarizer was on lens but was ineffective at this angle.
The polarizer explains the ISO800 as it cuts 1.5-2 stops of light.

The morning had been spent at Larz Anderson Auto Museum for a lawn show called “European Motorcycles”.  It was a beautiful day and the place was packed with motorcycles both new and old from BMW, Triumph, Ducati, Norton, etc. I’ll be posting some of the photos later. I enjoyed a couple of hours walking around, taking photos, and chatting as best I could (as I know little about motorcycles.)

Halfway home I stopped at a small grocery store to buy a fresh cookie and a soda, and spotted a bench in a small park with blooming flowers. Perfect for sitting and eating a fresh-baked chocolate chip cookie!  As it happens, in addition to the Olympus E-M1 with 12-100mm zoom which was the combo I used for the motorcycle images, I had my new Panasonic GX80/85 with the Olympus 60mm macro attached.  Perfect!  

Scouting around I saw zillions of bees.  But looking closer, almost camouflaged, was this single bee covered with pollen.  I can certainly understand how this happens, because each little ball of pollen has little velcro-type protrusions, appearing under magnification like miniature thistles. But this was the only bee I spied with a coat of pollen.  He did not get it from this flower. My guess is that it came from entering one of the daylilies nearby.


1 comment:

The Wandering Lensman said...

Peter, thank you for sharing this remarkable image. Not only visually is it stunnng, but it is instructive scientifically. I don't think there is anything about the image that could be improved. Excellent!