10.15.2017

Lightroom Continues To Amaze Me

There are plenty of things which frustrate me about Lightroom.  Mostly it's about the slow downloading speed and the need to wait (lag time?) before you can see each of the changes made with the sliders.

Nevertheless, every time I move the highlights, whites, and shadows sliders I am amazed with the results you can get from a RAW file.  These sliders were added to Lightroom in 2012, I believe, and to much acclaim.

The two images below are 800 pixel wide files I exported from Lightroom as jpgs.  The scene is that of stacked lobster traps.  I took the picture because I liked the pattern of grids and ropes.

The first image is based simply on the "Adobe Standard" profile that is applied by default on import. The second is the result after using the sliders in the basic panel, in particular the highlights, whites, and shadows sliders... with a bit of clarity, vibrance and saturation to taste. A touch of straightening was applied.

The basic panel adjustments really brought out the colors of the lines and ropes.  Perhaps it looks a bit "over the top", as I don't think I really saw all those colors while I was squinting in the bright light.  Nevertheless I like the look of the processed image.

As far as gear goes, the camera and lens combo was the Panasonic GX80/85 and Olympus 12-100 F4 zoom.  The image was taken on a bright sunny day at about noon, so the light as you can see was very harsh.  Nevertheless, the histogram in Lightroom shows that all pixels were within the dynamic range of the sensor... except the tops of some of the white ropes which were overexposed.

Before

Panasonic GX80/85 with Olympus 12-100 @28mm (56mm equiv)
1/80sec, F8, ISO200
 After






No comments: