1.13.2018

One Photo: My Favorite Seascape from 2017:"Wave Action"

In Maine in October, this was taken at Reid State Park.  I didn't think all that much about this image (I liked it but it was not "great") until a friend fell in love with it and asked for a large print.  We agreed that at 24" wide print would make a nice wall hanging. I was pretty pumped and looked forward to printing it up big.  But then I sadly realized that the composition you see here was only created by severely cropping the original image file.  

Regretfully I had been lazy that day.  I had a single lens with me, a 12-100 F4 zoom with an equivalent focal length of 24-200mm.  Ninety percent of the time, that is plenty of reach for me.  But I should have remembered that some of the other 10% of the time occurs at the ocean, where a longer reach may be needed.

For this image I zoomed all the way into 200mm.  The crop, however, measures a mere 2,000 pixels wide.  That’s plenty for an iPad, HD 1080p computer monitor, or high definition television; but sorely lacking in pixels for a print over, say, 10” wide.  (By the way, here on the blog, images are hugely downsized, to 800 pixels wide.)

I’m still kicking myself for not going back to the car where I had a Panasonic 100-300 zoom!  That’s a whopping 200-600mm equivalent range.  That would have been plenty of reach to zoom right in on this scene.


"Wave Action" at Reid State Park, Maine
Olympus E-M1 with Olympus 12-100 @ 100mm (200mm equivalent)
Aperture Priority, 1/6400sec, F4, ISO200, -1EV
RAW file adjusted in Lightroom


My Photography Website is https://peterfraileyphoto.com/

No comments: