9.07.2015

An hour-and-a-half during one morning in Maine

I smiled as I wrote this title because all the pictures below were taken within a couple of miles of the grocery store that is featured in Robert McCloskey's children's book One Morning in Maine.


__________

On a recent vacation trip I woke up early each morning (well, almost each morning) to walk, coffee in hand, down to the rocks below our cabin at the edge of Penobscot Bay.  Each morning was different but all the sunrises were awesome.  However, there was really only one morning where I thought the images I created had any "wow" factor to them.

On this one particular morning I spend most of an hour and a half sitting on the rocks below the cabin, going back to the cabin a couple of times to chat with my wife, who was watching the morning unfold from screen porch, and to refill my coffee mug.

The fun thing was watching the morning develop.  The sunrise itself was not that spectacular, but it was the fog coming in that was so interesting to watch.  Maine is one place where you can have fog on a sunny day!  Add a lobster boat and a row boat to the scene and my interest was peaked.

The photos below are in chronological order over a one-and-a-half hour period on August 5th, from 5:45 a.m to 7:15 a.m.

All were taken with an Olympus E-M1 with either the legacy FT 14-54ii zoom or the mFT kit 40-150 zoom.  Usually I crop landscapes to a 3:2 aspect ratio, but a greater number than usual were left at 4:3 to capture some additional blue sky to juxtapose with the fog.















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the "Porch". Maybe we'll see that in the October competition in the Assigned category.
Grrat image #6