1.01.2018

Two Photos: It's Amazing what a Kiss of Flash can Do


Two days before Christmas we had weather conditions that resulted in 1/4” of ice over everything. It rained all day, but the air temperature at ground level was near 20F.  It was a mess.

Also going on, I had been watching our dogwood tree for the last couple of months, as buds slowly formed (not a good thing) in November due the record breaking warmth (i.e. warmest November in history).  Now I could see that these buds were topped or encircled with a layer of ice. This is all very unusual; and I thought the juxtaposition of the buds and ice made for an interesting nature story. It was also quite attractive. Definitely, it was a scene worth documenting.

I grabbed the camera that I had all set up for the indoor Christmas Eve photographs that I hoped to capture that night.  It was the Panasonic GX80/85 with Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 zoom (24-80mm equivalent). Since the little Olympus FL-LM-3 auxiliary flash was already in the hotshoe, I figured why not try it?  I was stunned by the results.  I am not saying this is “great” photo, but it is definitely interesting and tells a nature story. I really like how the direct flash was able to bring out the colors of the buds. This is technique I need to remember in the future.

Below:  Though I like both of these images, I'm thinking now I should have taken the time to shoot some images using F5.6 or F8 for greater depth of field, albeit with reduced background blur.  These were taken at F2.8.



"November Dogwood Buds and December Ice"
Panasonic GX80/85 with Olympus 14-40mm @ 40mm (80mm equiv)
1/160sec, F2.8, ISO200
Olympus FL-LM-3 Flash (TTL)

You can also find me here:

My Instagram Feed is https://www.instagram.com/peterfraileyphoto/

My Photography Website is https://peterfraileyphoto.com/

No comments: