6.28.2019

Colorado Road Trip 2019 | Initial Planning


Road trips are always fun. The planning for this one started with an invitation to our niece’s wedding in Boulder, CO.  

Neither my wife nor I particularly enjoy flying.  Actually the flying is fine… it’s all the antics and shenanigans between leaving the house and actually sitting at the gate at Logan airport. There are just so many things that need to go right (or at least not wrong). It always fills me with anxiety, and it starts with setting two morning alarms so we don’t oversleep  Perhaps if I flew more than once a year I’d get used to it.  Anyway, to “amortize” the annoyance of flying we decided to stay in Colorado an extra two weeks after the wedding!  


Map of the U.S.A. (From Rand McNally Road Atlas)

I designed a trip that had us staying one to three nights in eight locations (if you count one night at the Embassy Suites at the Denver Airport), traveling in an approximately counterclockwise circle through the central third of Colorado:  Boulder to Estes Park to Winter Park to Steamboat Springs, then south and east to Avon/Beaver Creek/Vail, further south and east to Buena Vista, then north and east to Denver.

Map of Colorado (from a map I picked up at the Fraser, CO welcome center)

My wife made our plane reservations with Southwest Airlines because she likes that one can check two bags for free, and with the wedding we were packing relatively “heavy”.  

I made our overnight reservations all through AAA, Travelocity, and Airbnb (first experience and it went well). Standard size SUV reservations were made through Enterprise.


Next up will be planning for what camera gear and electronics to bring.  The clothes part will be easy.

No comments: