10.31.2017

One Photo: Backlit Lobster Boat


This image was quite a surprise to me.  I wasn't sure I liked it at first, but a week or so ago I posted it on Instagram and Facebook anyway. I was pleasantly surprised at how many people liked it and took the time to comment.

I do enjoy taking backlit photos from time to time, as they are challenging.  However, in the back of my mind I keep hearing my father instructing me not to aim toward the sun.  The trouble with that is that if you avoid shooting into the sunlight, you miss the shot!  Especially with digital cameras, isn't it better to "take the shot" than to not take the shot.  You can always dump it later.

I do actually find the lighting on the inside of the lobster boat attractive, or at least appealing.  What you see here was helped by the Shadows Slider in lightroom as it otherwise would be a bit dark in there.  But it's the reflections off the water that annoy me, as being distracting.  Nevertheless, most of the comments on Facebook were about how they liked the sparkles on the water.


Backlit Lobster Boat
Panasonic GX80/85 with 100-300mm zoom @ 228mm
1/2,000sec, F5.6, ISO 200
In Lightroom I made ample use of shadows slider
and added some dark vignetting

No comments: