10.23.2017

Schooner "American Eagle" out of Rockland, Maine


After taking the photo below I wanted to identify the schooner.  I couldn’t quite make out the name across the bow even when zooming in on my computer monitor; but after spending some time with google and photos of the various cruising schooners around Camden and Rockland, Maine it became obvious that this is the “American Eagle”.



The American Eagle was built in Gloucester in 1930 and was the last fishing schooner built there, this being an auxiliary schooner as it was (and is) powered by both sails and engine.  She is listed in the National Registry of Historic Places (as of 1991) and is a National Historic Landmark (1992).  I have read that she is the last known surviving vessel of this type.  She is 92 feet long on deck and about 20 feet wide.  Outfitted for passengers, looking at the schematic diagram on the Web site http://www.schooneramericaneagle.com, I counted thirteen double-occupancy passenger cabins.

She was purchased by John Foss in 1984 and converted for cruising, spending summers in Penobscot Bay (where I took this photo) on 3-7 day cruises.  I have included below some details from the Web site.  Interestingly, I read in “Yacht World” (I can’t figure the date of the posting) that the schooner is (or at least was) for sale for $750,000.


No comments: