10.17.2017

A Quick Visit To Reid State Park, Maine

Reid State Park is Maine’s first state-owned saltwater beach, having been given to the state in 1946 by Walter E. Reid. Its sandy beaches and sand dunes are rare items in Maine.

My pictures were taken on and around Griffith Head, looking north along Mile Beach.  I’m looking forward to returning in warmer weather to explore Half Mile Beach and the Little River.

This is my favorite image today.
Panasonic GX80/85 with Olympus 12-100 @ 100mm
1/6400, F4, ISO 200


The Lagoon (see map) looks like a great place to play for children, as the water is quieter and warmer than the open ocean.




I’m not a birder, but I understand that there are many nesting areas for several species of endangered birds. Least terns and piping plovers were mentioned in several references.

Also fun to watch would be surfing.  The Boston Globe Magazine rated Reid State Park as #1 (in 2015) in New England for surfing. We did see one surfer way in the distance.


The best looking beach plums I've ever seen!

Saw this mismatched set on the beach.  I wonder who has the other pair?
Mile Beach


So very healthy
Looks like it might be good for surfing.


No comments: